not much time to write today, but i'm going to try to post a few pics of the past few days.
today we had some lectures from some men who work at ICIPE to hear about their studies on malaria and also introducing training for beekeeping and silk moths for rural farmers to help decrease the number of trees cut down
we also went to the Canadian high commission in kenya to hear from a man from CIDA and a political- economic officer. very interesting. the high commission is amazing... tax dollars at work to support a tennis court, two pools and gorgeous grounds. but nowhere near as ridiculous, ugly and unnnecessary as the USA embassy near the UN site.... ridiculous.
It's Laura's 21st birthday, though, so I will post these quickly and then rejoin the group for beers, Uno, and journal writing.
lots of love to all
xoxoxo
B&H- sorry i didnt say hi earlier! thanks for following my blog, hope all is well at home!!

one of the crazy matatus that are driven here as a means of large taxis... they are all totally bling-ed up with celebrity posters stuck on them and hilarious gangster things written on them. this one is my favourite so far
Some children who live in the Kibera slums. Most of them only know how to say "how are you?" in english, and all really want their pictures taken so they can see themselves in the digital screen. real heartbreakers.
The Kibera slums. This picture doesn't nearly capture the whole of it. I have more that show more of the place and the amazing community. But this is a pretty good representation of the amount of garbage there is (flying toilets) and the corregated tin houses that fuction as homes and/or stores for millions of people.
Wow Marion! What a great experience you are living. I am following your blog and I like to read about how things are there.
ReplyDeleteHere in Montreal, everything is going well. Adriana and I did well at the meet. I'm pretty happy. We finished 2nd!
Keep writing and posting pictures. You are lucky. You will probably learn more in 3 months than what you have learned at McGill. Take advantage of that opportunity. Take care!
Hey Marion! I just checked your blog for the first time today and there was already so much to read! I cant believe all the animals and birds you have already seen and visiting the Kiberia slum must have been quite the experience. Even though I did not visit Kenya, I can picture it in my mind, I miss Africa! Hope you're having an amazing time!
ReplyDelete