Friday, February 6, 2009

Oliota from Jinja!!

Hello all!!
WOW I can't think of where to begin. We spent a GLORIOUS week in Kibale NP near Fort Portal... I love it there. Baboons and colobus monkeys every where, days spent in the jungle collecting data about water temp, O2 levels, swamp invertebrate species, idenifying butterflies. There is so much life there. The field guides are an absolute wealth of knowledge. Emanuel and Peter stuck with Lauren Chapman's group-our "ecoteam" in conservation ecology. I have so much to tell about this wonderful place, and so many pictures. They fed us very very well, and the bunk bed dorms were wonderful. Too cold for mozzies, and glorious rainstorms every day, following a hot morning.
We next moved to Lake Nabugabo, a satellite lake of Lake Victoria, seperated from Victoria 5000 years ago by a sand bar. The campsite there was something from heaven: right on the lake, with a wonderful cool breeze. We stayed at one of only 3 places on that lake, as most of its perimeter is protected wetlands, where the ecoteam spent their days. Lauren took us to set and collect traps for cichlid fish, as well as the regular water quality checks, and also to do a spectoscopy test on the water, which we found to be in the 500-600 nm wavelength... explains the hybridization of cichlid fish species in the wetlands b/c they cannot follow proper sexual selection and species selection when mating.
It was hard to leave both of these places, and they 7 hr bus ride to Jinja today was long and hot. We will be here in Jinja, staying at a very nice hotel ( WITH HOT SHOWERS!!!) for about 3 days. Then, back to Kenya and to Mbita.
Not sure when I will have internet next, and I'm currently paying for internet at a cafe (500 shilling for 20 mins... 1800 shilling/1US)
Africa is beautiful. The sky is huge and I am collecting photos of clous, sun sets and too many sun rises to be comfortable with. I haven't got a single mozzie bite, and I'm not sunburnt but working on a healthy tan. I remain one of maybe 5 people (out of 40) who havent had any stomach or gastro problems. So, its a great success story on my behalf.
I'll write again as soon as I can

Mom: Please would you send the link for my blog to Marty and Darren from Belize? I forgot to invite them I would really like them to be able to read this!
The Quad+ Nunnie: been thinking of you alot while I've been here... I'll be home at the end of April unless soemthing big keeps me here and I'm excited to see you!
My McGill Mates: hope the snow is stopping and the temp is coming up now that it is February! I have a final exam on Sunday so dont hate me from over there... I feel your midterm sorrows!!

Lots of love
Abwooli (Marion)

3 comments:

  1. I haven't seen a good thunderstorm for ages. I used to love lying in bed with my windows open to watch them. Not so fun cycling home in one! I also love the smell after the rain, take a good sniff of it for me. Hope the mozzies and runs stay away.
    Ryan is crawling and climbing all over the show.
    Love Auntie Margs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Marion!
    I am amazed at everything you are seeing and experiencing!! I am so glad you are doing well and enjoying all your trips. Everything is fine over here... it's been unbelievably warm for the past two days (O and 6degrees last evening!!). Other than that it's almost midterm season and work is catching up to us. I really miss you!
    xoxo Alix

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO glad you are happy, healthy and learning, and making lifelong friends no doubt.
    We are all well. Moving back to McNair Feb 21, so frantically painting etc - lucky you are not here to share the fumes!
    Glen's grad is June 25th and ball 26th. He says you do not need to come back for it - he knows you care about his accomplishments.
    I sent the link to your blog to Marci and Darren but no reply - hope the spam scrubber didnt get it.
    Good luck with your exams/assignments- keep up your best effort like you always do.
    Enjoy the magic of Africa.
    Love mom

    ReplyDelete