Monday, January 19, 2009

JAMBO!

Hello all!
Just a quick note in the morning before breakfast, taking advantage of the internet provided at ICIPE. Yesterday we drove through Nairobi, past the Mathare slums and through the metropolis centre, and out the other side to Nairobi National Park. Considering the jetleg, our profs had kindly granted us a day for easy discovery, and we set out on a driving safari through the park. We saw much much more game than expected: buffalo, ostriches, girraffes :)!!, zebras, hartebeast, eland, huge black kites, white backed vultures, common spotted eagles, and the ubiquitous LBJs. I'm sure I'll be reeling off all the bird names by the end of the 2nd module since I'll be taking Ornithology.
Associated with the park is the Nairobi Safari Walk: sort of like a zoo but no where near as well- developed as the Belize National Zoo. It had cost 140 million shilling (around 2 million US) to build and houses mostly animals that are indigenous to Kenya, with the exception of the white rhino and the pygmy hippo, which are native to south africa. Walking around with our guide, we saw both of the above, ostriches, hyena, black and white colobus monkeys, white zebra (albino, with brown stripes instead of black), hammerkop birds, saik (blue) monkeys, hadada ibis, a bongo, a unicorned oryx, and a sick and whithered looking cheetah. As well, 3 spectacular and huge black-and-white-casque hornbills (in the wild, from a boardwalk). There were also lions in the safari captivity, but we didnt see them. Hopefully in the Masaii Mara...
For Dad: I was on the look out for and was rewarded with several signs you would find amusing: "Kenya Flying School: for those who defy gravity safely", "drive it like you stole it" (on the back of one of the many hilarious matatas), "warthogs and children have right of way"... there are many and I'll keep recording them.
It was a hot day but the trucks that drive us around are open air, with massive open sides
that put all us white people on display. But its a much better way of getting around than being inside AC-ed busses.
Today, we will hit the town, heading over to the Nairobi University to have a few lectures, and walk around the city with Kenyan students in the Geography program. It will allow us to approach the city on foot, exchange some money, pick up books and extra supplies and check out the places the students here hang out. It will also be a big day here in Nairobi as the inaugoration of President Obama, a Kenyan, has been all the talk in this city. It will be interesting to watch the dynamics and ask about the event in town. In 5 days or so, we leave for Kibale National Park and will not return to Nairobi for a month.

I hope all at home and school is well! This may be the most extensive blog I can afford, but I will do my best!
Lots of love and wishes to all.
xoxox
PS: Mum, I'm wearing my money belt and I remembered to take my Larium! I think of you when I see the umbrella trees.
PPS: Glen: I forgot to wish you luck in the last term of grade 12!! You dont need luck, but I can't wait to see you graduate!!

3 comments:

  1. Hey babe, ya I don't know an Adam Scott, he must have come to Ashbury after I had left for Singapore. That's pretty cool that his mother worked for CIDA too. I wonder my mom might have known his. If his worked in international development. Hope you're doing well from the sounds of it you are. Going down to Toronto this weekend to celebrate Eric's birthday (he turns 9) exctiting age anyways going to try and finish and assignment. So jealous about you getting to see white rhinos and pigmy hippos they look so cute wish I could have seen them in person.

    Love you a lot
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Marion!!!
    We just read your blog! It sure is nice to read someone ELSES blog!!!
    Sounds like you are all set to go. Soak it all in...and enjoy.
    Tricky-Nicky cooked one HELLUVA supper on Sunday night...we are groomin him well!!
    Hugs from both of us!
    B&H

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marion
    Sounds like you have already seen and learned alot! Enjoy.
    Glad you remembered your larium!
    Dad says thanks for thinking of him with all the sayings, and Glen wishes he was in a warm place like you!
    We will be following you on the map - did you know you are 1 degree south of the equator!?
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete